Many forthcoming events have been rescheduled due to current circumstances. Updated details will follow
Upcoming Tours/Study Days:
- Capital of the North-Medieval York, Andante Study Day, 14 August 2020. Tickets here.
- A Masterpiece in Stone-Salisbury Cathedral, Andante Study Day, 7 August 2020. Tickets here.
- The Golden Age of Northumbria, Andante Tour, 14-19 September 2020, Expert lecturer (though leading from 2021). Tickets here.
Upcoming Public Talks:
- Faith and the senses in Medieval Church’, Eton College (History Society), Date TBC.
- ‘Medieval Life & Death’ BBC History special events. British Library, London (14 March 2020); York St John’s University, York (16 May 2020). Tickets here.
- Two ‘Medievalism’ Sessions (presenting and organising) at International Medieval Congress, University of Leeds, 6-9 July 2020.
- ‘Making Sense of Pilgrimage’, Chaucer Society Congress, Durham University, 16-19 July 2020.
- Society for Church Archaeology Annual Conference, Salisbury, 25-27 September 2020.
- Opening speaker, Ecclesiological Society, St Alban’s Centre, London, 3 October 2020.
- ‘Sensing the Medieval Church’, study day, Centre for Parish Church Studies, Norwich, 14 November 2020.
- The Art of the Lost Conference, Canterbury Cathedral (November 2019).
- Association of Voluntary Guides to the City of York (September 2019).
- Holy Trinity Church, Micklegate York (May 2019).
- BBC History Weekend, York (October 2018).
- IMC (July 2018)
- YAYAS, the Yorkshire Architectural and York Archaeological Society (January 2018)
- Courtauld Institute of Art, London (June 2017)
- RHS, University of Chester (April 2017)
- University College, Oxford (April 2017)
- University of Huddersfield (April 2017)
- York Waterstones (October 2016)
- Storyhouse – Chester Literature Festival (October 2016)
- White Rose Books, Thirsk (October 2016)
- Ilkley Literature Festival (October 2016)
- Ripon International Festival (September 2016)
- Listed Property Show, Harrogate HIC (March 2016)
- Masham Local History Group (September 2015)
- Arkendale WI (February 2015)
- University of York Autumn Public Lecture Series (December 2014)
- Bedale Archaeology and History Society (January 2014)
- Sensing the Sacred: Religion and the Senses, 1300–1800, University of York (June 2013)
- Religious Men in the Middle Ages, University of Huddersfield (July 2012)
- Medieval Research Group, University of Leeds (Mar 2012) (invited speaker)
- Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and Northumberland (Mar 2012)
- Institute for Historical Research (Jan 2012)
- European Reformation Research Group (2011)
- British Archaeological Association Annual Conference, Newcastle and Northumberland (2010)
Selected Special Lecture Invitations:
- ‘”Sensing” the Past: Uncovering the Experience of Late Medieval Pilgrimage’, Medieval Research Group, University of Leeds (2012)
- ‘The architecture of the church in Northeast England’, North Eastern Catholic Society (2014).
- ‘Unlock The Secrets of Your Home’, Bedale Hall; Mercer Art Gallery (2014)
- ‘The Secrets behind your Front Door: discovering the history of your home’, NYCRO Local and Family History Day (2014)
- ‘The Medieval Cult of Durham Cathedral Priory’, Friends of Durham Cathedral (2014)
- ‘Pilgrimage in the North’, Durham WHS Public Lecture Series 2012–13, invited by Dr Sarah Semple to speak alongside eminent scholars inc. Dame Professor Rosemary Cramp, Professor Chris Gerrard, and Dr Dave Petts (2013).
- ‘The Beauty of Stained Glass’, Mini Archaeology Series, Life Science Centre, Newcastle (2011).
- (And coordinator of stained glass exhibition) – Community Medieval Day, St. Margaret’s Church, Durham (2010).
- ‘The monumental and the private: the sensory experience of medieval pilgrimage art and architecture’, New Approaches to Medieval Religious Cultures, German Historical Institute and Birmingham University (2010)
Possible Titles for Talks include:
- Monks Behaving Badly
- Faulty Towers or Heaven on Earth? How to Build a Cathedral
- More TV, vicar? Oh my! The clergy and Church through history.
- How Naughty was the Past?: The hidden depths of the art and architecture of the medieval church
- Making “Sense” of the English Medieval Church
- Those Walls Can Talk!: How the seemingly insignificant objects of our daily lives are vital tools to understanding our past.
- Windows to the Soul: Architectural Representations in Stained Glass
- House Detective: How to Research Your Home
- Pilgrimage, Cult of the Saints and the Medieval Church
- In Faith’s Footsteps: The Pilgrim Routes of Britain
- The History, Art, and Architecture of England’s Cathedrals
- The History and Inhabitants of Kiplin Hall, North Yorkshire
- The Beauty of Medieval Stained Glass
- The Treasures of the English Parish Church
- Did Henry really “Break” the Church? Devotion in the parish church in sixteenth-century England